By Daniel Pigeon
Several weeks ago, we announced the details of the 2018 Notary Node Elections. Then, on March 18th at 6:12PM UTC, a snapshot of the entire Komodo Platform ecosystem was taken at block #754712. This allowed our team of developers to know exactly how many KMD coins were held in each wallet at that specific point in time.
At that point, VOTE2018 tokens were distributed at a 1:1 ratio of all the KMD held at the time of the snapshot. We airdropped roughly 107,100,000 tokens to KMD holders. In addition, we distributed about 6 million VOTE2018 tokens to SUPERNET holders, and another 5 million tokens to holders of MSHARK.
So, now what? Everyone who has received VOTE2018 tokens can vote! This post will show you exactly how to cast your ballot in Komodo Platform’s 2018 Notary Node Elections.
1. Make sure that you have downloaded the latest version of Agama wallet.
We recently fixed a few bugs and added the VOTE2018 features to Agama wallet, so update to the latest version if you haven’t already. Here are the links:
This step is crucial so make sure to update! If you have any trouble at all, please join our Slack channel and reach out to Komodo core team members directly. We’ll be happy to walk you through the process if you’re having difficulties.
2. Check out all of the candidates running in the Notary Node Elections.
Before you cast your ballot, you’ll definitely want to take a look at the candidates and read their proposals! You can view all of that information here.
As in most elections, different candidates have different ideas about what will be most beneficial for the community (which, of course, in this case is the Komodo Platform ecosystem). This means that candidates are making various commitments about how they will use the proceeds they earn from their role as a notary node, should they win a seat in the election.
There are a lot of brilliant suggestions being made, so we highly encourage everyone to take some time to read through all of the proposals before casting your votes. Komodo Platform does not endorse any individual candidates but we are thrilled to see so many great ideas being shared. We’re confident that all of the new notary nodes will be well-qualified for their positions and become contributing members of the Komodo community.
We also set up a Notary TestNet for all notary node candidates to participate in. This allowed the candidates to notarize the BEER and PIZZA blockchains, two valueless practice tokens, to test out their notary skills. Essentially, it was an opportunity for candidates to prepare and to show the Komodo community what they are capable of. The results of this notary trial can be viewed here. This is a solid indicator of how each candidate would perform as a notary node, if they are successfully elected.
In the interest of transparency, the number of votes received by each candidate is publicly available. If you’d like to see how many VOTE2018 tokens each candidate currently holds, click here.
3. Cast your ballot by sending your VOTE2018 coins to your preferred candidate(s).
Here’s a video tutorial of how to vote in the 2018 Notary Node Elections.
In case video tutorials aren’t your thing, here are detailed instructions, with screenshots included, on exactly how to cast your ballot.
First, we should mention that the latest version of Agama supports VOTE2018 tokens as a normal coin. This means you can VOTE2018 tokens to your wallet and send them to candidates the same way that you’d send any other coin. Here’s how to do that:
- Launch Agama.
- Click on the “Activate Coin” button.
- Select “VOTE2018 (Notary Elections)” from the list and add it in Lite (SPV) mode:
4.Send the desired quantity of VOTE2018 tokens to your preferred candidate’s address:
5. Repeat the last step if you’d like to vote for more than one candidate.
You may also choose to use the “Notary Elections” function to send your votes. If you’d prefer to do this things this way, here’s what you need to do:
- Launch Agama.
- Click on the “Notary Elections” button.
3. Enter your passphrase (wallet seed) or your WIF.4.Click on the “Login” button. At that point, you should see this screen:5. You may choose to send your VOTE2018 tokens to 4 different candidates (25% to each one), or you may choose to send 100% of your VOTE tokens to a single candidate. This is what the former option looks like:
6. If you prefer to use the latter option (i.e. sending all of your VOTE2018 tokens to one candidate), simply choose that option and enter the address of your desired candidate.
7. You’re done! That’s all there is to it.
4. Stay tuned for the 2018 Notary Node Election results!
Notary nodes perform some critically important tasks for the Komodo Platform ecosystem. In particular, they provide ironclad security to the network by notarizing the Komodo blockchain onto the Bitcoin blockchain roughly every ten minutes. You can learn more about the requirements and responsibilities of notary nodes here.
Since notary nodes play such an enormous role in Komodo Platform community, the elections are also very important! So do your research and cast your ballot. The elections run until April 1.
The Komodo team is here to answer any questions you may have and help you with any technical difficulties you encounter. Happy voting!